WHAT YOU CAN DO TO SELL YOUR HOUSE FASTER
Beyond the obvious considerations of location, size, present condition and design of your home, buyers look for special qualities that appeal to their emotions. It is your job to prepare the groundwork, to “set the stage” for a buyer to fall in love with your home.
It is your job to prepare the groundwork, to “set the stage” for a buyer to fall in love with your home. Think of what has made your home so special to you and try to highlight these features. Although no home is perfect, you must try to become aware of its shortcomings. Once you do, you have the opportunity to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negatives by making your home more visually appealing.
Ideas and Suggestions below will help you improve your sale price – These are ways to help you sell your home faster and for top dollar!
1. Make those minor repairs – no matter how minor.
2. Whatever the season, do some spring cleaning.
3. Have a yard sale or pack away in boxes those items that clutter.
4. Create the illusion of spaciousness.
5. Give your rooms a light, bright look.
6. Use colour and lighting to draw attention to your homes best selling features.
7. Eliminate unpleasant odors.
8. Accessories can make or break a room- avoid clutter.
9. Display photos that show your home during other seasons.
YOUR HOME’S FRONT DOOR AND PORCH
10. Create a welcoming spot in colour- flower pot, paint front door.
11. Invest in a new doormat.
12. Open curtains, have sparkling windows.
YOUR HOME’S ENTRY HALL
13. Create a dramatic focal point – e.g.., flowers, poinsettia, antiques.
14. Add spaciousness with a well placed mirror.
15. Improve floor appearance here, if nowhere else (except kitchen).
16. Clean out your coat closet.
YOUR HOME’S LIVING ROOM AND FAMILY ROOM
17. Treat these rooms as if they were stage settings-games room suggests good family life, a guitar is warm, a dictionary, half finished crossword puzzle- let the buyer imagine living in your home.
18. Improve traffic flow in these rooms.
19. Draw attention to exposed beams or a cathedral ceiling.
YOUR HOME’S DINING ROOM OR DINING AREA
20. Set the scene by setting the table and add a centerpiece.
21. Make a large dining room into, say, a dining room and a small library or add a desk.
22. Visually enlarge a small dining area-remove leaves, place against wall, remove extra side chairs or large pieces.
YOUR HOME’S KITCHEN
23. Use props to set the scene- open cookbook, basket of eggs, bunch of carrots on a cutting board, ceramic mixing bowl with whisk, etc.
24. Make it smell great- simmer Christmas brew, bake bread, bowl of lemons, fresh coffee, cinnamon sticks etc.
25. Expand your counter space, store small appliances, use a moveable cart.
26. Create more storage space-neat organized shelves, hanging pot rack.
27. Accent kitchen windows-plants, bird feeder outside window.
28. Make small kitchen appear larger-repaint white (walls recede), light curtains, mirror.
29. Highlight an eat-in area, set the table, fruit as a centerpiece.
YOUR HOME’S LAUNDRY ROOM
30. Make it cheerful and appealing.
31. Double duty- corner table or chair, sewing area, set the stage.
YOUR HOME’S STAIRWAYS
32. Make them safe- lighting, clutter-free, rail, carpet or runners secure?
33. Improve appearance of stair treads, clean or paint.
YOUR HOME’S BEDROOMS
34. Create a master bedroom “suite” effect (“Large is Better”)- avoid busy patterns, small desk, chair with lamp, etc.
35. Tackle your closets, clear clutter, clear floor, organize shelves, smell.
36. Depersonalize teenagers rooms- at your own risk!
YOUR HOME’S BATHROOMS
37. Create a look- plants, glass bowl of shells, pictures, fresh towels, magazine rack, etc.
38. Invest in a new shower curtain and/or bath mat.
39. Put out fresh towels and soap.
40. Add a pretty dish of potpourri.
YOUR HOME’S BASEMENT
41. Make it as pleasant as possible- erase all signs of dampness or mildew.
42. Increase wattage of all bulbs to brighten up.
43. Set it up as a games room or teen room -Ping-Pong table, bright posters.
YOUR HOME’S DRIVEWAY AND GARAGE
44. Fix up driveways for first impression impact.
45. Enlarge and improve appearance of garage with lights, clear floor, organized shelves.
46. Avoid an overgrown, unkempt look- prune, cut lawn, edge carefully.
47. Mark property boundaries if fences or lines don’t exist.
48. Use flowering plants to dress up your yard.
49. Draw attention to special trees- flowers at base to draw eye in.
50. Play up flat areas- badminton set or volleyball net.
51. Set up a backyard living/dining area- picnic table or rocking chairs.
52. Let your pool help sell your home- clean, open earlier or close later, if winter, have photo of pool in summer, draw up a pool information sheet including costs, upkeep time, installation date, pool size and pool items included with your home.